Sunday, October 11, 2009
the trials of poetry writing
I am definitely not a fan of poetry, yet in a twist of irony, I find myself reading more than my share of poetry as an English major. But the last two semesters I have tried to keep a more open mind about the genre and I will confess that it's not as daunting to understand as I had previously thought and I have even discovered some poets that I enjoy. However, writing poetry is an entirely different animal. I have never thought of myself as a creative writer and poetry seems to be the epitome of creativity. Explicating poetry has largely been a chore for me, but I eventually grasp the meaning of the poem. Writing poetry leaves me feeling like an imposter. I ask myself "if it's so difficult for me to find enjoyable poetry to read, what makes me think an amatuer like me could create something as passable writing?" Reading our poetry handbook did make the task seem more manageable and the list poem I created in class almost came out too easily. Which fills me with self-doubt -- if it was so easy, it can't be good. I realize that maybe it's not good, but writing both poems was enriching and cathartic (minus the self-loathing for creating crap) and it made me realize how important it is that all students be encouraged to try. It's less initimidating to approach poetry with knowledge and experience and the sooner a student has those tools, the less likely they will be to build up a fear of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Silver,
ReplyDeleteI, like you and what I like to think is a good portion of all English majors, have a terribly hard time writing poetry. I LOVE reading and analyzing poetry, but always find it so challenging to create it. Starting is always the hardest part, because poetry is all about language, and I can't seem to get my thoughts into beautiful coehsive thoughts and words. Maybe it's because we're so artistic and language just puts limitations on us? Whatever reasoning it is, know that you're absolutely not alone in your efforts in writing poetry. :)
-Ashley
Hi Silver,
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more with the fact that approaching poetry with some knowledge of the techniques and tools used to create it will help students get over any fear or intimidation they have of writing poetry. I know that the activities we did in our 495 class to create the poetry that was due this week really helped me, and I think that similar interactive approaches would help students create poetry in a more familiar and creative way. I also really like the way you see poetry: even when you think the poetry you write may not be "good," you still see the process as cathartic and enriching. I think seeing the process of writing poetry this way would help students in our prospective classrooms break free of any constraints or levels of intimidation they may feel when faced with a poetry assignment..
Hi Silver,
ReplyDeleteLike you said, especially when it comes to explicating poetry, I too found it a chore. I, however, have really begun to enjoy reading poetry and I think it has to do with the enthusiasm of the teacher presenting the poems. For example Professor Baxter seems so into it that it makes me take a moment to get out of my own head or fears or even angst about reading poetry, and enjoy it for what it is. It has been even greater to be armed with tools, such as “The Books of Poetic Forms,” really helped me get a stronger grasp on poetry. I feel as though throughout my time as an English major, and even in high school, I was expected to understand poetry but never truly received the proper basics to do so. Because I have gained further knowledge, I actually get excited to read poetry now. Moreover, the knowledge I’ve gained can also help me as a Creative Writing emphasis in my poetry, which I also am excited about. So to end my ramble of a post, I think the energy a teacher presents their lessons or exercises in poetry can greatly encourage and affect their students. As a teacher I hope that I can make my students feel positive about approaching poetry in a way I never felt when I was in high school.
Dear Silver,
ReplyDeleteFirst thing I’d like to say… Very cool name. Now, getting down to business: “poetry seems to be the epitome of creativity.” That is a great line, and though the Theatre and Art majors may disagree, I think the history of all great literature, and drama, is on your side. It seems as though writing poetry is something intimidating and I would just like to ask why that is. I think the pressure of studying great authors and then being asked to write poetry makes us feel like we need to produce something golden. But, I don’t think that needs to be the case. I don’t think we should worry about “how can I write something good,” why bother? Poetry might as well simply serve the purpose of connecting a little better with one’s self because if it is to serve the purpose of making people love it, good luck with that. If you can create it, read it, and like it, what else should matter? If others won’t like it, it’s not the end of the world, especially if afterwards you know a little something more about yourself.